Request for Proposal: Coordination of International Sign; Conference Interpreting Services
The Conference of Interpreter Trainers
2024 Biennial Conference
November 13-16, 2024
“We All Belong: Resilience and Reinvention”
The Conference of Interpreter Trainers is seeking an Interpreter Coordinator responsible for contracting a team of Certified Deaf Interpreters (CDI) to provide interpreting services for the 24th biennial conference in Berkeley, California. All applicants must be experienced, and in good standing according to best interpreting practices in their respective countries.
The coordinator must be onsite for the entirety of the conference to provide logistical assistance in workshops and cover any last-minute changes. There are specific needs for Deaf/blind pro-tactile services that must align with consumer preference.
The included paid expenses are travel, per diem, and accommodations.
Note: Contracts are only available to CDI, DI, and IS interpreters. There will not be any spoken translation or Deaf/hearing teams at the conference. Primary functions of the teams are Pro-tactile, Deaf-blind, and International Sign with a focus on Deaf-centric ways of engagement with audience and presenters. CIT will approve the names of all interpreters before notifying the selected interpreters.
Requirement: CIT collaboration and approval of the call for interpreters media release. Emphasis on DEIAB and advertising to representative organizations, aligning with our theme of “We All Belong: Resilience and Reinvention.”
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Collaborative writing will occur with CIT board Professional Development Chairs and Treasurer. All financial contracts and working agreements must be approved by CIT before sent out for signatures.
- Work closely with chairs covering registration, program, sessions, and other activities as assigned.
- Send out an official Call for Interpreters through the CIT website. Interpreters include Certified Deaf Interpreters (CDI), Deaf Interpreters (DI), and International Sign Interpreters (ISI). Be mindful that the function at conference will include PT and tactile while also heavily relying on stage work for audience participation.
- There will be no spoken English interpreters working the conference.
- Establish a firm deadline for applications from prospective interpreters.
- Review and select a team of skilled conference interpreters. We request to view and approve criteria/materials that will be used to evaluate applicants.
- Send out letters of acceptance and non-acceptance.
- Send out and collect contracts.
- Collect filled-out 1099 forms and give the forms to the CIT Treasurers.
- Collect bios and headshot photos for the digital program book.
- Set up a schedule of assignments for the entire conference.
- Collect presentation materials and distribute them to interpreters for their preparation, and have interpreters meet with the presenters before starting the presentations.
- Collect travel receipts and invoices from interpreters and give them to the CIT Treasurer.
- Submit a final report at the end of the conference and report to the Professional Development Chairs. The final report includes all financial agreements, invoices, receipts, and payments, along with the complete interpreter list and contacts.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Resume with the interpreter coordinating experience, conference and platform interpreting experience and necessary qualifications fulfilling the requirements of this contract position.
- Provide an ASL/IS video describing a brief history of your experience with similar work or your vision for how you will complete this task.
- Provide evidence of culturally competent marketing materials and points of contact, specific to recruitment of a diverse team of interpreters.
- Letter of interest with contact information, including name, email address, and text numbers.
The deadline is set for January 30, 2024, at 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST).
If you encounter any challenges or have questions regarding the submission process, please do not hesitate to reach out at PD@citsl.org
We are looking forward to receiving your submission.
Eileen Forrestal &
Co-Directors of Professional Development